I finally found it… a video of Paul Schaffer’s Keyboard Rig on Letterman. For years I have searched for such a thing. And today is the day.
I also finished reading Schaffer’s autobiography. Pretty great. A lot of people — Emily, mostly — think that he’s a goof and that’s that. But I think that, next to Letterman’s quick wit and frustration, most anyone would appear to be kinda lame. Kevin Eubanks covers this by constant laughter. Doc Severensen had his prescription meds.
ANYWAY, if you’re like me (and I know I am), you might be looking for an inside look at Paul Schaffer’s keyboard rig. And here it is, over at keyboard magazine. My favorite part of the interview is how Paul refers to the Roland Fantom board as “this crazy ax here…”
– Hammond B3 (of course)
– Roland Fantom (X8, I think?)
– Kurzweil K 250 (ancient — this is where he gets his dirty horn sound)
– Oberheim (also ancient, complete with an 8-note polyphony)
– Some kind of Moog AngrySynth
– Bose monitor speakers (Bose — really?)
– Leslie Speaker (145 or so)
– Mackie 16 Channel Mixer
– Baldwin Baby Grand with MIDI triggers
– Kurzweil K2000
So awesome. To me, at least.